September 2, 2013

Veronica Mars Watch-Along Week 18

[Graphic designed by the lovely Judith of Paper Riot]
So, how does this work, super sleuths? Go check out the Watch-Along kick off post for the skinny. I'll give you a second just in case...

All caught up? Good.

In case you already know the basics and just forgot what episodes are up today, here's the list:
  • "Donut Run"
  • "Rashard and Wallace Go to White Castle"
And for NEXT WEEK:
  • "Ain't No Magic Mountain High Enough" 
  • "Versatile Toppings"

Time for the meat and potatoes of this post. 

THE NOIR
In the first episode this week, Veronica helps Duncan run away with his and Meg's baby. At first you're made to believe that Veronica and Duncan have broken up, y'know, given that Duncan had a baby with Meg and it looks like Duncan's sleeping with Kendall (Is he? Has he? I really don't know the answer to this, but I like to think he cheated that first time even if this second time was just a ruse.). But then it's just like BAM, Veronica (and Vinnie Van Lowe!!) are secretly helping Duncan get out of town. Obviously Keith catches on and he gets really upset, but WHAT DOES VERONICA CARE!?
If Andy's saying it, you know it's serious.
In the second episode we learn more about a lot of things:

1) Logan and Weevil's sleuthing attempts continue to be awesome, although the results are kind of disastrous for Weevil. I do like how Logan and Weevil kind of pull things together, though, even if Weevil gets beat up and dethroned. And yeah, Thumper is evil and blackmailed Weevil, but he is dealing with the Fitzpatricks, so I feel like he's definitely going to get his.

2) I like that Keith is taking the lead on the bus crash thing. Because he's the adult. And this is what he should be doing. Not Veronica. I also really enjoy the fact that Keith is taking the simple interpretation of the rat on the bus. Of COURSE Veronica would think it symbolizes something and that something is about her. Maybe it doesn't symbolize anything and, even if it does, maybe it's not about Veronica. Basically: VERONICA WHY IS EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU?! STOP IT.
3) This whole thing with Wallace was NUTS. I was a little worried Veronica wouldn't be able to make it happen, but I like how she used her random connection in the sheriff's office and Jackie to make this happen. I do hate Jackie a little less for sneaking around and being awesome, but she's still the worst (next to Duncan), so we'll see how this goes. 

PARENTAL PROBLEMS
Why are Duncan's parents the worst? Why would they, after hearing how terrible the Mannings can be, want to leave their grandchild with the crazies? THEIR GRANDCHILD NAMED LILLY AFTER THEIR DEAD DAUGHTER?! (Not that they knew that's what Duncan was going to rename Faith, but STILL.) I don't understand any of this. 
And then, Veronica is awful to her father. What is going wrong in this relationship that leads to these kinds of shenanigans? I honestly all kinds of upset at the deterioration of this relationship. 

Also, on a brighter note, I like how Wallace's dad is there for him. That's nice. 

BRING ON THE SNARK
Logan: "Hi ho."
Veronica: "What did you say?"
Logan: "Oh, your uniform. Hi-ho, it's off to work you go."
Veronica: "I guess that makes me Snow White."
LOGAN: "You must be on your way up to see Mopey."
Veronica: "How's he doing, Sleazy?"
Logan: "Wouldn't know, he doesn't come out of his room. Old Italian ladies don't grieve like this. Boy, he must've really loved Meg."
Veronica: "Well, then there's that other thing. You know, he can't see his baby."
Logan: "A baby? How'd that happen?"

This whole exchange is so amazing. I honestly can't imagine why anyone WOULDN'T love Logan and all his awesomeness.

Logan: "You're not real complicated, are you, Dick?"
Dick: "Try not to be."

Understatement of the century and dear GOD I love it.

THE BOYS
Oh dear. This is a GOOD WEEK.
  • Duncan: BYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEE!
  • Logan: You have worked so hard and been through so much and I don't think it's too much to ask Veronica to do you a favor with no strings attached. I don't. I. DON'T.
  • Weevil: You've been so good, working with Logan. I am so sorry you have lost your place as leader of the PCHers. BUT GOOD THINGS WILL COME YOUR WAY. I KNOW IT. 
  • Wallace: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING BACK. I love everything now that you're back.
  • Dick: He really is a simple kinda guy. And even though he's a giant jerk, I kind of love it. 
  • Vinnie Van Lowe: He doesn't really belong here, but I do like that he helped Duncan get away. Even though he only did it because Duncan paid more money than Celeste. But. Like. Whatever.

Two episodes of misdirection later and I'm loving this show even more. Are you still loving this show (and Logan) the way I am? Let me know in the comments below!

**ONE LAST REMINDER**
NEXT WEEK:

  • "Ain't No Magic Mountain High Enough" 
  • "Versatile Toppings"

2 comments:

  1. I was JUST THINKING that I need to rewatch Veronica Mars. I've seen the first two seasons like ten times each. I practically have them memorized. God, I love that show. You're at a good point, now that Duncan is gone. That's when it gets better, lol. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great episodes! I love how much you hate Duncan. It makes me LOL. Also, I love the Weevil-heavy episodes. He's such a great character, and his and Veronica's friendship waffles back and forth between animosity and partnership so many times during the series. I'm excited to see him in the movie when it's released!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!